Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Maruthi Alto: A review

During the last week I did post my review on the Reva Electric Car. For sure I was under the impression that Reva car would appeal very strongly to my site visitors and readers. And, ah! It did appeal but only those eco-friendly geeks. And, how I misjudged before posting that all women could be green lovers? Guess you might have found Reva to be too small a car for single-child families and even no-child families.

Anyways, this week I did lay my hands on Alto, the Maruthi’s very successful small segment car and would like to review this Alto for you to view! Let me request you to not compare the Reva electric car and the Alto. They are way too different and dont fit for a comparitive study.
Anyways....V…V….Vroom….read my Maruthi Alto Review…let’s go!
And, if someone thought only males are crazy about automobiles, I beg to differ, I knew of so many women who are as passionate about clutching and gears as men are! And, for that matter I believe that women give more attention to detail and look for comfort as well as styling when it comes to choosing a car and then the price tag is one that women take a close look at.

If you check out this small yet cute little car, Alto, I would summarize in one phrase that Maruthi Alto is worth a drive to find out what you’ve been looking for in a family car. Ask me for the looks, I would say its cute yet contemporary. It also looks bigger and sturdier than its predecessor the Maruthi 800. It can be taken that Alto is a reliable update and cross between a Maruthi Zen and a Maruthi 800.

Maruthi Alto is bigger than the 800 version and a smaller one than Zen. It has a perky 1100 cc engine with multipoint fuel injection (MPFI) system, which performs well and is defiant even on what are called disastrous kind of Indian roads. The power steering is optional and comes with the Lxi and Vxi models. Power steering, I would say is a thrill on traffic jammed roads and enables you to inch out and swim through with such ease.
While both Maruthi 800 and Alto are fuel efficient cars from Maruthi, Alto has a bigger engine and is also heavier than 800 so although the economy might not be as good as the Maruthi 800, I would bet that it still be better choice for its sheer driving experience. Alto comes with better air-conditioning (but the power comes down when you switch on the AC), and the gear shifting is quite smooth in the Alto. The varying seat height levels and features like lights on alarm or key in reminders are just so sweet in this cute little devil. The visibility is quite decent from the dashboard and the hatchback windows makes Alto as loveable as one see it on roads.

Alto gives a mileage of 18-20 km per liter with AC on and 20-22 without the AC. No wonder Maruthi Alto is adjudged by customers as the best entry level car and is fast becoming the most preferred and sensible choice for the conservative middle class car buyers. Will you believe that there are over 1 million Maruthi Alto cars plying on Indian roads? And for sure to me, Maruthi Alto had been a fun to drive.

The LX model is the most-value-for-money version of the Alto and its features:
Engine: Four-valved MPFI with about 1061 cc displacement
Acceleration: Alto vrooms 0-100 kmph in 20 seconds and does a max of 160 kmph delivering a maximum power of 45 bhp and 6000 rpm.
Colors: Alto is sold in Solid bright red, Laguna blue, cool silver, Miami gold, Coral beige and Superior white, wine red, Carribean blue, brilliant yellow colors.
Looks: Proportioned looks although conventional
Capacity: Four persons
Price: INR 275,000 (+ 50,000 )

Affordability and low maintenance cost is the philosophy of Maruthi Alto. So next time, you have a car TBD, make sure you drive an Alto without fail. Let me know if my Maruthi Alto review had been of any help to you.

No comments: