Sunday, February 1, 2009

Australian Open 2009 Men's Singles Winner is Rafael Nadal

It’s always a treat to watch the great tennis warriors Swiss Roger Federer and Spaniard Rafael Nadal fight for supremacy. It was no less than a great Finals match today when the two top seeds sweated out at the Rod Laver Arena to win the Australian Open Men’s Singles trophy. I see that Rafa grew far from any one’s imagination to dethrone Roger Federer from the No.1 position. He is deservedly the numero uno player in Men's Tennis circuit today.

Although beginning of the tournament I had great expectations on some fresh talent including Andy Murray, Tsonga none of them lived to my expectations. I, in fact, had hopes of seeing Monfils somewhere in the top 4 (don’t take me mad, but I believe that this boy will go a long way in Men’s tennis).

While I watched Rafa play fellow Spaniard Verdasco, I almost thought he lost the match to Verdasco. It was mere luck on part of Nadal that he went on to Australian Open finals. Roger Federer entered finals with a hope to win 14th grand slam title and it is their seventh encounter in a final and I was glued to the television saw the 2 tennis rivalries fight out, it was worth every second. The first set was Nadal's (7-5) followed by Federer even out with one set (6-3). Third set was a real feast to my eyes and it was an outstanding play by both fighters never willing to give up. It went to Nadal in a tie breaker (7-6) and the fourth set was a cake walk for Nadal with (6-3) and fifth set saw Federer fight up again, but it was cool nerves of Nadal that help him win the set (6-2)and title. Rafa also becomes first Spaniard ever to win Australian Open.

PS:
To see Roger break down saying 'God! It's killing me' made me cry along for this tennis hero. The fantastic sportsman settled down fast and took mic saying speaking last words in the tournament deservedly belongs to Rafa and he thanked all of those who've been there supporting him. Roger is a true ambassador of tennis and love to see him come to #1 again!

No comments: